Wednesday 3 November 2010

Caddy Spoons

I've been busy making a load of Caddy Spoons for somebody, in between making bedroom wardrobes from 'orrid mdf. I originally spotted a nice one on Niklas Karlsson's blog under 'Birch bark boxes' and thought I'd have a go at making some. I don't yet have a design I'm totally happy with, but they're quick and easy to make so the prototypes soon mount up! They are about 21/2 to 3" long and are intended to be left in the tea or coffee caddy. They soon pick up a lovely rich patina. These spoons only need a tiny block of wood to work from, say 3" x 11/2" x 3/4" thick. I think the woods I used were Rhododendron, Sycamore, Elm, Blackthorn and Lilac- see if you can pick them out. While I'm on about caddy spoons, here's some examples of the caddies I make:-

These are based on Scandinavian shrink pots but I just use rotting timber I find on the forest floor and fix a base myself. I'll show my method of construction in a subsequent blogpost, suffice to say it's not rocket science! The above caddies are Elm which is really 'pippy' and has a beautiful nobbly texture.


I

2 comments:

  1. John i like your caddies(shrink pots)very much, they are obviously easy to make and look really unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, John,

    Hmmm.... got a birch burl in my cellar that wanted to be a wooden pint, but there was a crack in the part were I wanted the bottom to be... you got me thinking;-)...

    I follow your great blog now on Fimbulmyrk.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete